You'll need three pages:
in the first one put
<form method=post action=secondpage.php3>
<input type="text" name="contactname">
submit it to the second page where you have:

$sql = "select * from contacts where (FirstName like '%$contactname%' or
LastName like '%$contactname%') and Active='yes' order by ID";
          $result = mysql_query($sql);
  $numrows = mysql_num_rows($result);
if ($numrows>0) {
  while ($list = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
echo "<a
href=\"thirdpage.php3?ID=".$list["ContactID"].">".$list["FirstName"]."
&nbsp; ".$list["LastName"]."</a><br>";
}}

And in the third page:

$sql = "select * from contacts where ContactID='$ID'";
          $result = mysql_query($sql);
  $numrows = mysql_num_rows($result);
if ($numrows>0) {
  while ($list = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
just echo the details that you need.
}}

Hope this is what you want
Kind Regards,