Dave.

Is this what you mean?  In the example below, you won't fall into the while
loop unless you get a row back from the statement handle ($sth).

$dbh = ibase_connect( $connect, $this->login, $this->passwd )
$sth = ibase_query( $sql, $dbh );

while ( $row = ibase_fetch_row ( $sth ) )
{
        // do something with $row array
}

HTH