I think Hugh nailed the problem, but when a script throws errors it's often
helpful to save it with a .phps extension and call it from your browser.
That often shows errors in syntax if a line isn't the colour you expect. It
also forces you to look at it "differently" because the colourization often
differs from your normal editor.

I assume that by now this glitch is well behind you.

Cheers - Miles