I am working with PHP 4.0.6 and OpenLDAP 2.0.11.
I encounter problems when modifying some entries with attributes containing
special chars (such as , ...). The error returned by the LDAP server is
"invalid syntax".

I have read some documentation about this. OpenLDAP can accept
base64-encoded values, provided we use the tools that come with the
application (ldapadd, ldapmodify, etc.).
Then the attributes in the entry would be separated from their values by a
double column instead of the single colums used normally.

i.e, the entry would be
normalAttribute: normalvalue
specialAttribute:: SVN==   (this one is B64 encoded)

But how to do this from PHP functions? I tried to base64_encode the values,
it naturally didn't do the trick (those values were considered as normal,
and thus were not decoded).

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Christian Chateauvieux