From: Tom Tsongas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 2:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP-DB] Oracle CLOBs and carriage returns

Hi folks.

I have an interesting problem with regards to data I am retrieving from
a CLOB stored in my database.

The data consists of several paragraphs of information with multiple
carriage returns and other formatting mechanisms.

Now when I attempt to retrieve the data and display it on the web page,
it comes out as one giant line and all carriage returns and tabbing
seems to have been obliterated.

Here is the code I am using:

$sql_comments = OCIParse($connection,"SELECT COMMENTS FROM INCIDENT
WHERE INCIDENT='$incident'");
OCIExecute($sql_comments);
while ( OCIFetchInto($sql_comments, $row, OCI_ASSOC+OCI_RETURN_NULLS)) {

$lob_data = $row["COMMENTS"]->load();
echo $lob_data;
}

I know the information is stored correctly since a SQL query from the
command line works properly and all formatting is displayed.

Any thoughts?

Tom