Erik,

Having only set up PHP once on Windoze and once with Apache on Linux, I
would have to reference the installation docs on php.net. On Windoze,
you edit the php.ini file-- maybe that's also true for the stand-alone
on Linux?  You need the stand-alone version if you want to bypass the
Apache server and work within the shell environment.

Richard