pet (name VARCHAR(20)   is okay ....

Because he wrote:
create table pet (     <-- pet = Table Name
        name VARCHAR(20),
        owner ....
)

the query is okay ...

But I would allow NULL in the death - column (I donīt know what the default
is in MySql)
Or is every (!) pet you enter in your table already dead ?

        => CREATE TABLE pet (
                     name VARCHAR(20),
                   owner VARCHAR(20),
                   species VARCHAR(20),
                   sex CHAR(1),
                   birth DATE,
                   death DATE NULL
             )";

If you have received this e-mail in error or wish to read our e-mail disclaimer
statement and monitoring policy, please refer to