----- Original Message -----
From: George Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Torgil Zechel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 11:19 PM
Subject: Re: [PHP-DB] newbie having problem

> > if( $result == FALSE )
> > {
> > echo mysql_error();
> > }
> Yes - progress - its telling me that no database was selected.
>
> My code again:
> > > <?php
> > > mysql_connect ('pingu','root@localhost','');
> > > mysql_select_db ('Bizplanes');
> > > if ($Serial == "")
> > >  {$Serial = '%';}
> > > if ($Type == "")
> > >  {$Type = '%';}
> > > if ($Con == "")
> > >  {$Con = '%';}
> > > $result=mysql_query ("SELECT * FROM biz WHERE
> > >       ID LIKE '%$Serial%' AND
> > >       Type LIKE '%$Type%'
> > >       Con LIKE '%$Con%'
> > >       ORDER BY ID");
> > > ?>

You haven't specified a password when connecting to the server -- does it
require one?

Have you tried the code as per manual:

    $link = mysql_connect("mysql_host", "mysql_login", "mysql_password")
        or die ("Could not connect");
    print ("Connected successfully");
    mysql_select_db ("my_database")
        or die ("Could not select database");

to ensure that you *are* able to connect to the server and also *select* the
database?

hth
--
Jason Wong