I have a database with lots of  urls stored

I would like to build a script the retrieves them ... then somehow checks
each one to see if the link produces a "error 404" and is no longer good,
then ideally  write a file of "bad links" for me

this seems like it would be possible with PHP, could someone give me some
hints on where to start?   I know very little about http headers  and such

any information will be appreciated