I've now progressed to the point where I'm not getting eval errors. The next
problem is that is doesn't substitute the variable names: so the code

$company_code=1;

eval($sql='select * from vehicle where company=$company_code';");

ends up $sql equal to 'select * from vehicle where company=$company_code'

and not 'select * from vehicle where company=1'

Any clues?

TIA

Mark