thanks for the idea but it was a bit too of a headache in my case as I was
generating the sql statement in a messy way
tho lots of bits of code. Reading an oracle book I came across unions and that
has led me onto what I think will solve my prob

merged tables

I'm going try create table alltables (blah blah...) type=MERGE  UNION
(table00_01, table99_98 etc etc)

thansk for everyone who gave me hints

On Monday, September 24, 2001 10:54 AM, Russ Michell