* session_register('myvar'); creates a session var called $myvar
* session_start(); needs to be called from the top of each script that will need the
session var
$myvar
* session_destroy('myvar'); rids you of $myvar completely.
* session_destroy('HTTP_SESSION_VARS'); rids you off *all* currently registered
session vars

Note that a variable used in this way is refered to as 'myvar' and referenced a
snormal within the
script as: $myvar

HTH you out.
Russ

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:55:33 -0600 Steve Cayford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This is really off-topic for this list, but...
>
>  From my understanding of sessions, you really don't want session_start()
> in an if{} block. Every time you hit this script, it will have no memory
> of any session variables until you call session_start().
>
> -Steve
>
> On Tuesday, October 30, 2001, at 02:30  PM, Matthew Tedder wrote:
>
> > <?php
> > /*
> > Hi,
> >
> >     I'm new to PHP and am having trouble understanding how to use PHP
> > sessions.  My book tells in near the beginning how to start them and
> > register
> > session variables, but I can't figure out how to destroy a session or
> > later
> > read those session variables.  I'm also trying to do this across
> > frames, but
> > can't even get it to work within a single page.
> >
> > Here's what I've learned so far and what my problems are:
> > */
> >
> > /* To start a session */
> > session_start();
> >
> > /* To register a session variable */
> > session_register("myvar");
> > $myvar = "some value";
> >
> > /*
> > PROBLEM #1:  From the above commands, I get a $PHPSESSID that seems to
> > be
> > globally available for use, but I cannot seem to read my values back
> > out of
> > the registered session variable from anywhere...  I tried:
> > */
> >
> > print "$myvar\n";   /* and absolutely nothing is printed */
> >
> > /* To destroy a session */
> > session_destroy();
> >
> > /*
> > PROBLEM #2:  This says there is no session to destroy.  It's rather
> > strange
> > because I can still print the $PHPSESSID value..
> >
> > I've attached my code...
> >
> > */
> > ?>
> >  --

  "Believe nothing - consider everything"

  Russ Michell
  Anglia Polytechnic University Webteam
  Room 1C 'The Eastings' East Road, Cambridge

  e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  w: www.apu.ac.uk/webteam

  www.theruss.com