On Saturday 03 November 2001 17:29, Martin wrote:
> Why am I not getting anything returned from this function?
> I have code doing a if user exists and b if user doesn't
> exist. I'm not getting any numRows result apparently. The
> query is OK and returns 1 user for $name=admin. I'm not
> getting any errors from isError.
>
> Martin
>
> function exists($name)
>         {
>
>                 $sql = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE
> (name='$name')"; $res = $db->query($sql);
>                 if (DB::isError($res)) {
>                         die ($res->getMessage());
>                 }
>   -->---->----->if($res)
>                 {
>                         $Rows = $res->numRows();
>                         if($Rows > 0)
>                         {
>                                 return(TRUE);
>                         } else
>                         {
>                                 return(FALSE);
>                         }
>                 }
>         }

If you're not getting any errors it's either a logic error or
your sql statement is messed up.

1.  Is the line I marked above always testing false?  Put some
prints or echos inside the if conditions and test your logic.
2.  Log in to the mysql server and run your query directly with
the value you expect.  Do you get the results you're looking for?
3.  Test the variable in the SQL statement with a print or echo.
 Are you actually passing what you think to $sql?

HTH,
Jesse