Try using mysql_query to describe the table in question (describe $table), and use the
output
as a list of field names (and types). I wrote a generic script to do this for an
app... can
provide if needed (although it sure looks a little hacked right now, hmmm....)

-db

Russ Michell wrote:

> Hi there everyone:
>
> I have a generic query containing variables, substituted for values dependant upon
>specific
> circumstances:
>
> //----query the DB on the basis of searches employing text input fields (LIKE)
> if($sql_clause == 'LIKE') {
> $sql = "SELECT * FROM $table WHERE $field $sql_clause '%$query%'";
> }
> //----query the DB on the basis of searches employing select menus ('=')
> else if($sql_clause == '=') {
> $sql = "SELECT * FROM $table WHERE $field $sql_clause '$query'";
> }
> $result = mysql_query($sql,$connect) or printerror("Query Failure!","06");
> $numrows = mysql_num_rows($result);
>
> Instead of the usual 'hard-coded' method within the loop as below:
>
> //----loop using hard-coded variables
> while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
> $field1 = $row[fieldname1];
> $field2 = $row[fieldname2]; //----etc
> }//----end while loop
>
> I'd like to be able to have this dynamically enabled as below:
>
> //----loop using relevant field names to display correct page content
> while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
>
> //----generic method of extracting rownames according to '$table' (above) goes here
>
> }//----end loop
>
> Does anyone have a clue how to do this???
>
> Many Thanks!
> Russ

Dan Barton
Terrestrial Program Biologist