Better yet, check the the MySQL docs and confirm whether or not there is a
difference in speed between "=" and "LIKE". If there is I'd bet it's
because LIKE forces a sequential read of the index, if not the column.

I don't see how using a regex would be any faster? Happy to be proved wrong.

Miles Thompson