There are several ways to get around the lack of subselect support in mysql.
For your situation you can simply use:

SELECT * FROM lib_asset_tbl, lib_copy_tbl WHERE lib_asset_tbl.material_id <>
'' AND lib_asset_tbl.asset_id = lib_copy_tbl.asset_id

of course, this will return a row for every instance of a many to many
relationship, so you may want to use a GROUP BY clause to reduce the number
of rows in the result.