From: Matthew Tedder [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 8:43 AM
To: PHP Mailing List
Subject: [PHP-DB] MySQL Password Writes but Doesn't Read!@#%^

Can someone please explain this to me?!  It's a real puzzle..

Using the "password('abc')" command in a MySQL insert statement works for me

but using it again in a select statement does not.  Well--it does in one
MySQL database I have but doesn't in another one.  I've done exactly the
same
thing in each...

This one works (the next one does not):
mysql> use medburg
Database changed
mysql> explain Users;
+----------+----------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field    | Type     | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+----------+----------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| username | char(16) |      | PRI |         |       |
| password | char(16) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
+----------+----------+------+-----+---------+-------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> insert into Users (username,password) values
mysql> ('joe',password('joe1'));
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.04 sec)

mysql> select * from Users where password = password('joe1');
+----------+------------------+
| username | password         |
+----------+------------------+
| joe      | 2ca5307d5156d8ce |
+----------+------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

This example does NOT appear to Work:
mysql> use OpenSIG
Reading table information for completion of table and column names You can
turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A

Database changed
mysql> explain Users;
+-------------+----------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field       | Type     | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+-------------+----------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| usrlogin    | char(15) |      | PRI |         |       |
| usrpassword | char(15) |      |     |         |       |
| usrsurname  | char(15) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| usrforname  | char(15) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| usremail    | char(64) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> insert into Users (usrlogin,usrpassword) values
('joe',password('joe1'));Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from Users where usrpassword = password('joe1');
Empty set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

So what on earth went wrong??  What was the difference besides field names?
I am totally lost here...  Help...

--Matthew