From: Richard S. Crawford [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2002 3:34 PM
To: Gurhan Ozen; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [PHP-DB] mysql_num_rows

Hm, if the result you want is the number of distinct nodeid values, why not
use a query like this:

"select count(distinct(nodeid)) as nodecount from books where bookid =

Then the number of nodeid's is stored in nodecount.

You might also want to look into the GROUP BY clause.  That might give you
a better handle on what you want to do.

At 12:09 PM 1/6/2002, Gurhan Ozen wrote:

>I am pretty sure that the query is correct. here is the actual query:
>                 $query="select  distinct(nodeid), nodename  from books
>                 $result=mysql_query($query);
>                 $num_results=mysql_num_rows($result);
>  I have loaded a book into the tabel called "books". I have gave each
>section a nodeid and each book a bookid. SO i wanted to get number of
>distinct nodeid's (i.e. sections) in the book so that i could use a for
>to display all of them and an inner for loop to display each page under
>   The funny thing is that if i write the same query without "where
>bookid=$bookid" then the mysql_num_rows works but with where statement it
>  By the way the web hoster i am using has PHP Version 4.0.6 .
>   Thanks.

Richard S. Crawford
AIM: Buffalo2K   ICQ: 11646404  Y!: rscrawford

invisible to the eye."  --Antoine de Saint Exupéry

"Push the button, Max!"