Yes, mysqld was running.
Username and password were provided
via this function call
$db = mysql_connect("localhost","username","password");

I have to same problem when trying to connect to mysql
server whenever I use any user other than root. So basically whenever I try
to run "mysql" using root account then everything is fine but otherwise I'll
get the same error message. Thanks to your reply.