I am sorry, I was not clear in my original request.

The id is auto-incremented. I want to grab the id so that I can use it as
part of a redirect

 $q2="select Course_ID from course where HEI_ID = '$inst' order by Course_ID
desc limit 0,1";
 $result2=mysql_query($q2) or die("q2 failed");
 while ($row = mysql_fetch_array ($result2))
 {
 $recid=$row['Course_ID'];
 }
 $redirect=('Location: http://localhost/Mysite/itemlist.php?recid=' .
$recid);
 header($redirect);

As I said, it works but maybe there's a better way.

George

> What about Auto_increemnt field ??
> Your's id can be auto_increment field. for example:
> create table dupencja (id int(7) auto_increment not null, primary
key(id));

> so when you insert records:
> insert into dupencja values('') - > id will be 1
> insert into dupencja values('') - > id will be 2
>
> this is auto_increment, so your trick isn't need.
>
> More in manula of mysql.
> regards.
>  I piasecki - www.b-c.pl

---