$table_name = "my_table";
$timestamp_field = "date_posted"; /* or something similar */
$max_records = 5;

$sql = sprintf("SELECT * FROM %s ORDER BY %s DESC LIMIT %d", $table_name,
$timestamp_field, $max_records):

$result = mysql_query($sql);

/* ... */

000601c1aa2c$84eb4a60$f94a27d9@authorised">news:000601c1aa2c$84eb4a60$f94a27d9@authorised...