From: Zach Curtis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 9:26 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP-DB] Why NULL?

I have a loop process that reads a record out of a flat file, stores the
data for a given record in an array, writes the record to the db, resets the
data in the array, then iterates again thru the loop. Not every record has a
value for each field. For example,

Not every record has a value for the field "cus034a". Since this is numeric
type data, I do not want the value in the db to be "0" if there is no value
for the field (it should be NULL).

# partial table definition
cus034a TINYINT UNSIGNED NULL,
sat01 TINYINT UNSIGNED NULL,

What I try to do is set the array to NULL values before iterating the loop
again. However, if I do this and the next record does not have a value for
"cus034a", the value in the db still ends up being "0".

$data_array["cus034a"] = NULL;
$data_array["sat01"] = NULL;

I must be doing something wrong?

Thank you.