Technically, it is not the dblib interface that limits you to 255
character varchars.  TDS (tabular datastream, the on the wire protocol)
version 4.2 (the version used upto SQL Server 6.5) is limited to a single
byte size field and thus 255 characters (0 represents NULL).  The problem
is that MS seems not to support dblib at any other protocol revision that
would support it (7.0, 8.0).  So, yes, ODBC or OLE-DB would be the only
support way of accessing large varchars.  Part of the problem resides in
the fact that TDS 7 and above ships data in unicode (UCS-2) and converting
to single byte representation for dblib is a pain.

The one workaround I know of is to issue your query like "SELECT
convert(text, mycol) FROM mytable" that forces the large varchar to a text
datatype and allows you to pull it from TDS 4.2.

Under Unix you may use FreeTDS where we allow you to use dblib with TDS 7.
But that's a story for another day. ;-)

Brian