I was simply going by the docs themselves:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/A/N/ANSI_diff_Sub-selects.html
(see bottom of page)

...and to say that its up to the programmer to provide
such features is like saying that the lack of brakes
in my Yugo was a feature "designed" that way because
it is up to me to put my own foot out the door to make
the car stop...

Now before you get your flamethrower out...yes I AM
KIDDING...I realize that mysql is maturing and all
these "features" will EVENTUALLY make it in...

=====