Sorry, but I figured it out.  You were right, I do need to call the sql
update function after the error field returns a 0.  Here is the code if any
one else out there is having the same problem.
<?php
# trim extra spaces from these variables
$c_name = trim($c_name);
$s_addy = trim($s_addy);
$city = trim($city);
$state = trim($state);
$zip = trim($zip);
$phone = trim($phone);
if($c_name == "")
 {
   $c_nameerr = "Please enter your Company Name<br>";
   $formerr = $formerr + 1;

 }
if($s_addy == "")
 {
   $s_addyerr = "Please enter your Street Address<br>";
   $formerr = $formerr + 1;

 }
if($city == "")
 {
   $cityerr = "Please enter your City<br>";
   $formerr = $formerr + 1;

 }
if($state == "")
 {
   $stateerr = "Please enter your State<br>";
   $formerr = $formerr + 1;

 }
if($zip == "")
 {
   $ziperr = "Please enter your Zip Code<br>";
   $formerr = $formerr + 1;

 }
if($phone == "")
 {
   $phoneerr = "Please enter your Phone Number<br>";
   $formerr = $formerr + 1;

 }
?>
----- Then in body of document ------
<?php

if($formerr > 0)
{
print('You need to fill out the form completely.  Click the back button on
your browser to make the necessary changes.<br>');
 echo $c_nameerr;
 echo $s_addyerr;
 echo $cityerr;
 echo $stateerr;
 echo $ziperr;
 echo $phoneerr;
}

if($formerr == 0)
 {
  print("<p>Your changes have been saved to the database</p>");
# ------------- connects to the mysql database to edit information
$db_name = "test";
$table_name = "www_demo";
$connection = @mysql_connect("localhost", "user", "password") or die ("Could
not connect to database.  Please try again later.");
$db = @mysql_select_db("$db_name",$connection) or die ("Could not select
database table. Please try again later.");
$sql = "UPDATE $table_name SET
c_name=\"$c_name\",s_addy=\"$s_addy\",city=\"$city\",state=\"state\",zip=\"z
ip\",phone=\"$phone\"";
$result = @mysql_query($sql, $connection) or die ("Could not execute query.
Please try again later.");
}