My 2 cents :

In fact Todd has also been spouting ( moaning? <g> ) on the Windows/PHP
list too ;-)

Certainly, parsing Word docs is not necessarily a PHP-DB issue, but an
interesting problem or hack nonetheless.
IMHO M$ have set themselves up for 'illegal' hacking of their file formats
simply by virtue of their widespread use and insistence on not releasing
the source for their products. But surely, this sort of stuff is worth
considering as an exercise - if *everything* was easy there would be no
jobs for people in the IT industry generally!

>=Word is a Microsoft product. Have you been moaning on their lists (always
>assuming anyone from Microsoft
>actually responds/is helpful on such lists), asking where the Word-PHP
>interface is? Why attack only one side of
>the 'problem'? Perhaps like many others you have a perception that
>Microsoft couldn't care less about what you
>are trying to do? Why then make "the Open Source community" your whipping
>boys (and girls)?

Hope you guys have cooled off & settled your differences. DL Neil finished
his rather vehement <ahem - ggg> discussion of the benefits of open-source
et al , by *providing 3 helpful suggestions* how to tackle the overriding
problem. I think perhaps 'childish remarks' might be an appropriate
description *IF* the remarks were meant as a personal attack, rather than
an expression that perhaps this list is not appropriate for
reverse-engineering discussions.

 >>I don't know what crawled up your ass and died or pissed in your
 >> cheerios this morning.
<snip>
 >>Geez, whats with you types? I mean, You think Open Source is the
 >>ultimate solution and Bill Gates it the evil empire. Grow up and don't
 >>respond to my inquiries. I don't like childish remarks from an
 >>incompetent fool

Competence is in the eye of the beholder ( ducks under desk for protection ! )

I've only been on this list for a few weeks, but it's proved very helpful
for my development, to think about solutions to other peoples problems, and
provide help where possible. Very grateful for the input others have
generously provided. I think though that the nature of this list is
probably more for newbies than experienced MCP or open-source guru
discussions, preferably for discussion of PHP and Databases - and welcome
any flames suggesting otherwise <vbg>

Regards,
Neil Smith.

****** Message from InterScan E-Mail VirusWall NT ******

** No virus found in attached file noname.htm

This is a virus free message scanned by Zyberway