Just in case anyone was wondering, here's a bit more info.  I'm not sure
why some attributes show up the other way though:

<?

$baseDN = "dc=mydomain,dc=com";
$bindDN = "uid=dumbuser,dc=mydomain,dc=com";
$bindPass = "mypass";

$linkID = ldap_connect(ldapServer,ldapPort);
if ($linkID)
        if (ldap_bind($linkID,$bindDN,$bindPass) == false)
                        DO SOME ERROR PARSING

$filter = "uid=dumbuser";
$search = ldap_search($linkID,$baseDN,$filter);
$entry = ldap_first_entry($linkID,$search);  #<- ALL TOO IMPORTANT LINE
$values = ldap_get_values($linkID,$entry,"departmentNumber");
for ($i = 0; $i < $values["count"]; $i++)
        print $i . ":" . $values[$i] . <br>\n";
ldap_close($linkID);

?>

Now (for some reason I haven't figured out yet) if you don't do the
ldap_first_entry() step, you cannot access all of the attribute values
returned from the $search!

You can test by commenting it out and changing the $values line to use
the $search value as the second arg.

I hope that helps someone.  I could have used it for sure.