What's the error?
Do you already have an auto-inc field?
Have you tried it with another interface?  Ie: directly in the MySQL command
line util.
Glenn

Notes from MySQL.com:
There can be only one AUTO_INCREMENT column per table, and it must be
indexed.
When you add an AUTO_INCREMENT column, column values are filled in with
sequence numbers for you automatically. You can set the first sequence
number by executing SET INSERT_ID=# before ALTER TABLE or using the
AUTO_INCREMENT = # table option. See section 5.5.6 SET Syntax.

With MyISAM tables, if you don't change the AUTO_INCREMENT column, the
sequence number will not be affected. If you drop an AUTO_INCREMENT column
and then add another AUTO_INCREMENT column, the numbers will start from 1
again.