I agree, you are right, but that does not take me closer to the solution. So
if I leave out the language_id in the group by statement I do get only the
first language_id counted.

Example:

language table:
language_id | user_id
hr                    20
en                    20
gm                    20

The statement would return only if I search for language hr, because it is
the first it finds. If I search for en I do get nothing. Maybe I can't see
what you mean. Please correct me, it sounds wired to me as well

Andy

"Ryan Jameson" <    schrieb im Newsbeitrag
That's only when they have a different language_id... the group by needs to
have just user_id if you want to guarantee one user_id.

GROUP BY u.user_id, l.language_id