Forget my last email. Similar but before I told you how to do it from todays
date. You need to parse the $effdate. Below would only work for 1 number
months. (i.e not Oct,Nov,Dec)
Find where / occurs in the string and you will be laughing. Once you have
those numbers in $day,$month,$year you will be able to use the bottom two
lines of below to add three months on.

$effdate= "1/15/2002";
$day = substr($effdate,2,2);
$month = substr($effdate,0,1);
$year = substr($effdate,5,4);
$threeMonthsAhead = mktime(0,0,0,$month+3,$day,$year);
$dateInYourForm = date("m/d/Y",$threeMonthsAhead);

Cheers
Steve