I'm using PHP 4.2.0 with MYSQL 3.23. When I try to use either the
mysql_connect or mysql_pconnect to access the database, I get the
following error message:

Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES)

I have tried different user names and nothing seems to work. If I use
the functions without any parameters, it'll work just fine, and when I
try access directly from the console, it'll work fine also. The problem
seems to lie with the function parameters, which is written as follows:

  $db = mysql_pconnect("localhost", "pauld", "any_pwd") or
die($php_errormsg);

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.