Andy,
Yes I do it all the time. In this example, I do this with a window that
has buttons across the top of a image representing size from 1 to 10.
Depending on the button they select they get a image displayed from
small to large.

Here is a snip of code that displays the sized images.
----------------------------
The button name is $s. They select from 1 to 10, but can be any increment.
$hi = $s * 100; // size in 100 pixels. (but can be any increment)
echo "
<TABLE BORDER='15' CELLPADDING='0' CELLSPACING='0'><TR><TD>
<image src='ft_image.php?imno=$image_num' BORDER=0 ALIGN='TOP'
height=$hi></TD></TR></TABLE>
";

Note: in the 'image src' you give it a program name, not the image, and
pass some way for it to read the image from the DB. In this case the
program is ft_image.php and it passes imno.

To didplay the photo in ft_image.php, execute the following:

         header("Content-type:  image/jpeg");
         print(mysql_result($result, 0, "photo_image"));

photo_image is name of blob field from the DB
HTH.. Good luck.. Dan.