I'm wondering how the mysql_pconnect() function is SUPPOSED to behave.

I have a script that gets hit fairly heavily (about 150K times a day), that uses
mysql. In order to save some time in execution, I have made it use mysql_pconnect()
rather than mysql_connect(). Persistent connections are enabled in php.ini, and
are not limited by number. (This is reflected when I go to look at php_info() output)

However, even at the highest load times, I never see php_info() show more than one
active mysql link.

Is this correct? Will all instances of all the scripts that use mysql_pconnect() to the
same DB be forced to wait on one connection? Or does the function implement some sort
of connection pooling which for some reason fails to work?

This is kind of critical, as my script is causing some seriously high load averages on
my poor old 650Mhz server. (One thing i should mention is that my php instance is using
builtin mysql support rather than the compiled mysql libraries. Can this affect
anything?)