Well, it's not Java, PHP, or Mysql, but if you want a challenging
project then have a look at libmcal
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libmcal/

It's meant to provide calendar services and includes the beginnings of
an icap server - which is to a calendar what IMAP is to email. There is
also a PHP libmcal module to allow you access to the mstore backend (the
horde project uses this a one type of calendar storage). There is also a
shell of gtk calendar app but it would be more interesting to write a
bonobo / kpart plugin for it.

Right now the project has stagnated, it's tricky to install, and
probably has a few bugs, and also has stuff yet to be implemented.

This is a challenging project worthy of a very high mark (if you, or
anyone else, can get it working that is).

HTH,

Paul

On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 16:13, Serdar Sokmen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please read the rest of this email if you're interested in helping final
> year
>
> Computer Science student (yes, that's me...) by giving him some ideas on his
> final
>
> year project very possible involving PHP and SQL...
>
> I will start next autumn my third year of Computer Science studies. I have
> to carry
>
> out a large programming project in this final year. These projects are
> supervised
>
> and assessed via a dissertation and an oral presentation. The project alone
> counts
>
> for 20% of my whole degree, so it is quite important.
>
> A variety of project proposals have been made available for our
> consideration
>
> already but they all look very dull and boring. We are also encouraged to
> come up
>
> with our own project ideas.
>
> The onus is on us to define the problem boundaries, to investigate possible
>
> solutions, and to present the results verbally, in writing and (possibly) to
>
> demonstrate in action. They like having projects that find solutions (or
> improve a
>
> current sloution) real life problems.
>
> This summer, I am doing an internship in a Swiss IT company, working on a
> Content
>
> Management System implemented with PHP and MySQL. This will obviously give
> me some
>
> valuable experience with these languages (I sort of already learn them quite
>
> well...) and most of our tuition in Uni is based on Java.
>
> If you can think of an interestin final year project involving hese
> languages, it
>
> would be very kind to share it with me... In order to obtain a very high
> mark, the
>
> project needs to be challenging. For example, having an e-commerce web-site
> using a
>
> Database is seen as a "weak", non-innovative project...
>

> Many Thanks for your time
>
> Serdar Sokmen
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Paul Cooper                             |  Tel: 0121 331 7858
Senior Programmer and Database Engineer |  Fax: 0121 331 7859
UCEcom                                  |  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of Central England           |  http://www.ucecom.com
Birmingham, B4 7DX                      |