Bo,
you have really answered your own question (question 1) all you need to do
is replace http://detination with http://localhost/index.php?id=1 (as per
your examples) and it should send them to the page which triggers the
deletion of the page (if they confirm the box)

as far as q2 goes, you could send them to a page where they delete
something, and then that page actually just displays a message (on the page,
rather than a pop-up) which asks if they are sure, they click yes or no and
it does the same thing as the javascript popup. there is no way to create a
popup with PHP, so if you were considering popping a window using javascript
and then writing into it with php, you may as well just do it with the
javascript confirm() (much cooler) or with pure php (much more "robust" and
reliable).

HTH

Beau