I'm using mysql to hold references to image files then served on my pages
via PHP.

I have typically a set of two files:

thumb and a large original, on occasion there is also a variant inreasing
the set to 3 per image

currently I am holding all of the files in 1 directory since the DB can
keep track of them, however their number has grown to over 400 at this
point

my issue is whether it would be worth it (performance wise) to split them
into thumbs and works thus having 200+ files per directory as opposed to
so many, I am expecting the number of images to double in the future.