use the MD5 function and just take the 1st 10 chars or better yet, once you have
the MD5 value, use a wacky routine to take the first 10 odd position values...
since each time you run the function, it will always return the same value
(given the same string parameter...).

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I need to create some kind of 10 digits serial number where I can generate
> and check that it is valid. Sort of like a checksum..
> "Jj Harrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > if u are looking for a simple random string try this php:
> >
> > echo md5(time());
> >
> > or md5() a random number your choice.
> >
> > md5() genetates a one way non-reversable hash. which could be kept in a
> db.
> >
> > here is an example of the md5 hash of my library card number:
> > 11d560821fb027c227d837df53a5a73a
> >
> > md5()  is often used to store passwords and make them non-viewable.
> >
> > if you are just looking for a unique number an auto-increment coloumn in
> > mysql or what ever should do it.
> >

> > --
> > JJ Harrison
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > www.tececo.com
> >
> > "Rainydays Sunshine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > Any ideas how to generate a unique serial number that you can check that
> > > it's valid..
> > >
> > > Thanks...

Leo G. Divinagracia III
[EMAIL PROTECTED]