Thank you but this is not what I am looking for.

LIMIT will limit the overall results but I need to
limit the number of matches to each category 'type'

example: for the data below there may be 1000 news
story matches - I want to return the user the top 5
news stories - the top 5 feature matches - the top 5
coverstories etc.

Table structure is something like this
id | date | category | title | article

example data:
1 | 20020815 | news | title | article
2 | 20020815 | news | title | article
3 | 20020815 | features | title | article
4 | 20020815 | features | title | article
5 | 20020815 | coverstory | title | article

Thanks much,
olinux