Change this query:
> ie, select * from table where field like '%$search_string %'
SELECT COUNT(*) AS num_hits FROM table WHERE field LIKE '%$search_string%'
and let your MySQL-server do the counting. No need to transfer all data to
PHP just to count the rows.

You still have to run two queries, but I don't think you need to worry too
much about performance issues, unless you have a really, really huge table.

Joakim Andersson