1. run a script containing phpinfo() function and confirm you have support
for pgsql
2. add code to display the error message generated by either php or pgsql
when you try to connnect
3. (Maybe this should have been first) I don't know about Windows systems,
but on *nix, PostgreSQL has to be started with the -i switch to be
accessible from the Internet. Check docs.

Hope this helps - Miles Thompson

PS For help on the list #2 suggestion is really important.