I want to get the first name, last name, total row count, and total time
a name appears in the database. Something like this -

select f_name, l_name, count(*) as 'Total Kids', count distinct l_name
from kids group by l_name

it doesn't work of course, the count distinct l_name part is completely
wrong. The database has kids names in it appearing multiple times,
whence the need for distinct, I want the total number of times it
appears though. Plus, how do I echo the number for 'Total Kids' on the
browser? I don't have a column heading to reference like with f_name and

I s'pose this is clear as mud.

Thanks for any help you all can provide,