Typically, it is a text file that has SQL in it.
Like:
CREATE DATABASE some_name (
ID int NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,
NAME varchar(30),
etc....

Usually they are used to store the database information, and can be used in many of
the database systems.  Within the database itself, there is a command to insert from a
file.  Not sure off the top of my head, but the help menu should provide that
information, then the database would go through your file and execute those commands
as if you were entering them in manually on the command line.  Espescially helpful for
huge tables where you might be open to a typo, and have to start all over.
HTH
-Brad