1. Check MySQL syntax for locking a record
2. Build the query to do that, assigning it to something like $qry
3. mysql_query( $qry )
4. Check for results

HOWEVER - given that the web is a stateless environment, and a user can
just close a browser, or walk away, or whatever, are you SURE you want to
lock a record? An awful lot of db work can be done w/o express locking of
records. You get an implicit lock on an UPDATE or INSERT.

I've not checked the MySLQ docs, but the classic way to see if a record is
locked is to attempt a lock. I'd suggest reading up on the pro's and con's
of locking, either in the MySQL docs or in a general book on SQL.

Hope this helps - Miles Thompson