Cory Hicks [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> Hello to all!
>
> Quick question....is it possible to do an update query w/ a
> join yet? If not, what is your preferred method? Would you
> take care of it on the PHP side?
No, it's not possible, at least not with MySQL 3.x. MySQL 4.1, currently in
development, will feature nested subqueries and multi-table-updates.

> I need to update a table w/ data from another table if
> certain conditions are true, i.e the fields in the table to
> be joined are "NULL"....

I have to do that a couple of times, and always do it this way:
Build a SELECT statement, selecting all the data you will need in the
updates, and the primary key for the table which needs updates.
Fetch all the data in a nested array, like this:
  $a = array(<primary key 1> => array ("col1"=>"data1","col3"=>"data3"),
             <primary key 2> => array ("col2"=>"data2","col3"=>"data3"),
             ....);
and then, do the updates in a neat foreach loop:
  foreach ($a as $pkey=>$data) {
    [ build update stmt from $data array ]
    dbquery ($stmt)
  }