Chris Barnes wrote:
Hi,
I've got a dilly of a problem. I'm probably doing something wrong but I
don't know what. I'm trying to use the LIKE statement in a query where
more than one word is used in with LIKE..e.g.

select count(distinct itemid) from business where name or description
like 'word1 word2 word3%'
Chris --
The answer depends on what database you using? MySQL has a IN operator, so you might try:
SELECT * from table
WHERE name IN ('value1','value2','value3)
OR
WHERE description IN ('value1','value2','value3)

Your might want to cross post to MySQL list.

HTH,
David

The problem I'm having is probably obvious to you but I don't know why
this returns no matches but if i specify only 1 word in the LIKE
statement then it returns a match.

Am i not able to specify more than 1 word with LIKE or am I just doing
it wrong?

It has been designed to take input from a web form by the variable
$search_string and then the query string is constructed from that e.g.

$query = "select count(distinct itemid) from business where name or
description like'" . $search_string . "'";

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.