Leif,

> Sounds to me like you didn't understand the question.  The table

=two sides to every story: either I'm too thick to understand, or you didn't
explain sufficiently - or both... see problem with necessarily open-ended
answer given below and consider...

> structure is something like:
> ____________topics_____________
> | id | forum | author | subject | posttime |
> -----------------------------
>
> _____________posts____________
> | id | topic | author | message | posttime|
> -----------------------------
>
> The problem is, if I run a query like (I know the query is probably
> wrong, I'm just writing it now):
> delete from topics where posttime + interval 2 hours < now()
> I would leave "orphan" posts inside of that topic.  I'm not sure how (or
> if it's even possible) to delete the posts as the topic is deleted.

=some RDBMSes implement "referential integrity"/a 'chaining process' built
from key-dependences, and thus when a row is DELETEd from topics, any
corresponding rows would be removed from posts as well.

=others, eg MySQL, do not, and thus unless MySQL's last DELETE format option
works sufficiently well, the best option might be two DELETE's: the first
per your suggestion above and the second to remove all entries in posts that
no longer join to a topics row.

=Regards,
=dn