Hi Dan,

Dan Martin wrote:

group\apache\htdocs\crup_hs_local\result.php on line 58". I think I don't
understand the basic syntax.

/*$result = mysql_db_query($dbname,$sql);*/
/*mysql_db_query is deprecated; use mysql_select_db() and mysql_query()*/
$result = mysql_select_db($dbname) or die(mysql_error();
$result = mysql_query($sql);
$numrows = mysql_num_rows($result);

A valid database connection, open and query is as follows:

/* connect to the server, and assign the connection to $Conn */
$conn = mysql_connect("mysqlserver","myusername","mypassword") or die("Could not connect");

/* select a database using $conn as the connection */
mysql_select_db($conn) or die("Unable to Connect");

/* a SQL query we'd like to make */
$SQL = "SELECT * FROM foobar";

/* get a record set from the mySQL database using the SQL query, and put the data in $rs */
$rs = mysql_query($SQL);

/* get a row of data from $rs, and assign it to $foo_row */
$foo_row = mysql_fetch_array($rs);

/* print out some of the stuff from $foo_row */
echo foo_row['foo'];
echo foo_row['bar'];

The parse error you got comes from the 'or die(mysql_error();' bit.. you forgot the final closing bracket, i.e. it should have been:

die( mysql_error() );

Have another go! It's one of those things you only ever write once, and just cut and paste it for everything you ever do ever again!

Beth Gore