Well what do ya know, this works! Thanks for the pointer.

if ($tableid=="newfaq") {
      echo "adding FAQ<BR>";
      $newfaq_query =  "INSERT INTO `faq` (`faqid`, `question`, `answer`)
VALUES ('', '$question', '$answer')";
      $newfaqResult = mysql_query($newfaq_query);
      $newfaq_query2 = "INSERT into `faqRelatedToProduct` (`id`,
`fgNumber`, `faqid`) VALUES ('', '$fgNumber', last_insert_id() )";
      $newfaqResult2 = mysql_query($newfaq_query2);
      echo $newfaq_query."<BR>".$newfaq_query2;
}

Michael

                      Jason Wong

                      <php-db@gremlins.        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      biz>                     cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: [PHP-DB] two inserts at
once?
                      01/09/03 01:08 PM

                      Please respond to

                      php-db

On Friday 10 January 2003 01:04, Michael Knauf/Niles wrote:
> This Code Snippet works:
>
> $newfaq_query =  "INSERT INTO `faq` (`faqid`, `question`, `answer`)
VALUES
> ('', '$question', '$answer')";
> $newfeaturesResult = mysql_query($newfeatures_query);
>
> But I'd like to combine that query with this one:
>
> INSERT INTO `faqRelatedToProduct` (`id`, `fgNumber`, `faqId`) VALUES ('',
> '$fgNumber', '$faqid');
>
> So that both are executed at the same time.

The current php-mysql interface only allows single queries at a time.

> The variables $question, $answer, $fgNumber come from a form, the faqid
is
> a auto increment field, as is id... but it seems I need to know the value
> of faqid to relate it correctly to the fgNumber...

The retrieve faqid use mysql_insert_id().

/*
The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.
*/

Niles Audio Corporation
This mail is confidential