[snip]
> Would I be better off spending a few bytes extra per record and
storing
> things as DATETIME rather than an INT?  If I'm looking at the
possibily
> making the application more database-portable in the future, are there
> gotchas I should be aware of with any particular field types?

This has been argued back and forth quite a few times on here. If you
want your application portable, use an INT column, store UNIX
timestamps, and have PHP do all of the conversion/comparisons for you.

If you're just going to be using MySQL, then I definitely recommend
using it's date/time format. MySQL has a wealth of date/time functions
that make it really easy to get exactly what you want out of the table.

---John W. Holmes...

PHP Architect - A monthly magazine for PHP Professionals. Get your copy
today. http://www.phparch.com/