No, this is not the problem. $i and $j start from 0, anyway. The real
problem, as I see it, is the following:
I have a big loop, to create something like a checkerboard, but with 13 or
so colors. If the loop iterates more than 256 times, then those cells with
indexes bigger than 255 (or 256, does not matter) will have a single
color: that of the 255th or 256th cell.
It is as if I do not have only 13 colors, but 256! Try to run the code and
see what I mean.

Now I try to do my job by using JPGraph, but I succeded to ruin
everything:)
Oh, dear:)